James Bullough (Jimmy) was born in Blackrod on the 2nd January 1892, the seventh
child of William Bullough (a coal miner) and Emma (nee Vause) who lived at 135 New
street in Blackrod.
In January 1893, when he was only a year old, his father William died, aged only
35, The family moved to 11 Boardman street, where his eldest brothers Ernest, George
and Leonard worked to support the family whilst sisters Eliza, William and James
attended school (the eldest brother Thomas died in childhood).
His brother Ernest married Ann Robinson in 1902, and moved to Horwich and by 1911,
James was working with his brother William as a coal drawer. His mother Emma also
adopted a further child Elizabeth Connoly who lived with the family.
James married Annie Robinson, who worked as a weaver, on the 27th September 1913
at Holy Trinity Church in Horwich. Their witnesses were William Scott and Alice Pollitt.
Their first child, a daughter, Elizabeth was born soon after in December 1913, when
he was 21 years old, Jimmy and Annie were living at Annie’s parents home at 18 Dickinson
When war broke out in 1914, he was exempt from conscription as he was employed in
the coal industry. They moved to live at 11 Dickinson street in Horwich, where three
more children followed Emily in 1915, Harold in 1919 and Frank in 1922.
Bizarrely, his older brother Ernest also married a lady by the name of Ann Robinson.
They moved to the North East of England. His nephew Ernest (son of his brother Ernest)
from the North East, and his wife Rachel used to come and visit with their son Brian
who was a wrestler. His sister Eliza, married John Martin.
His sons followed in his footsteps and started work at the Klondyke, a small pit,
which served the Pipeworks in Horwich.
He became a relatively young Grandfather when his daughter Elizabeth gave birth
to a daughter Rita in 1934, then the children started to leave home, Elizabeth in
1938 and Emily soon after, then his two sons went away to war in 1939.
More grandchildren followed with Harold, Margaret, Leonard, Mavis, David from his
daughter Elizabeth and Keith from his daughter Emily in 1944. Sadly neither of his
sons had offspring to carry on the Bullough name.
By 1948, when his son Harold married Gladys Sanders, he was working on Horwich Loco
works as a painter employed by British Rail and he, Annie, son Frank, Granddaughter
Rita and Great Granddaughter Susan were living at 28 Darley Street.
Jimmy was small in height, hence he was nicknamed ‘little Jimmy’ but had a ‘bit
of go in him’.
He drank at the Queens Head and Bay Horse (now known as the ‘Original’ or ‘Long Pull’)
Public Houses and was a sociable chap. He wore a flat cap, and always had a watch
and chain; at weddings when he was always adorned with a bowler hat.
In their later years, Jimmy and Annie took rail holidays to Kirkudbright in Scotland,
Rhyll and Scarborough, as Jimmy received a free rail pass from his time at the Loco
works. They also enjoyed outings with the local Public Houses. They were good friends
with Ben and Ada Stuchbury, indeed many of the photo’s of them in later years, also
include Ben and Ada.
He loved fishing, a passion he shared with his Grandson Leonard, and Jimmy was a
member of the Queens Head Fishing Club. His granddaughter Margaret, once knitted
him some fishing socks to go in his ‘wellies’, with which he was absolutely delighted.
(He used to call her Bratstrings (brat meaning pinafore) because she was so ‘skinny’.
He also enjoyed gardening and spending time with his dog, a terrier called Butch.
Jimmy retired around 1957, and died soon after on the 24th May 1960 at home at 28
Darley street, just two months after the death of his eldest daughter Elizabeth.