When starting your research, you need to decide what you want to achieve.
Do you want to;
1. trace your ancestors as far back as possible?
2. find family who are still living, to fill in the recent history of your family
3. find someone famous/infamous in your family!
4. tracing names from the past, e.g. the mysterious Aunty who visited when you were
a child or even the dotty old lady in the sweet shop when you were a kid.
5. Methodically trace your past, filling in siblings / professions / stories to bring
your past to life.
None of these is the wrong thing to do, but the way you approach it may be different.
Keeping a focus on what you want to achieve will stop your research from getting
distracted. As you delve through the past, you may find your ambition changes ,
so don't forget to take stock every now and then.